Lower Back Pain Relief and Treatment
Back Pain Relief: Low Back Pain
If you have experienced lower back pain either currently or in the past, don’t feel discouraged. You are part of the majority of American people who experience this type of aggravating pain. According to a recent survey by the American Physical Therapy Association, nearly two thirds of Americans have experienced lower back pain, and over one third do not seek professional treatment. It seems that many Americans feel nothing can be done to alleviate their aches and pains.
Some common causes of lower back pain include:
- Muscle strain from overuse
- Poor techniques used when lifting
- Traumatic Injury (i.e. auto accidents)
- Lack of strength and conditioning due to inactivity (i.e. sitting too much)
Lower back pain relief typically improves over the course of a few days, but if the symptoms don’t improve or get worse, it is recommended to seek professional help. A thorough Physical Therapy evaluation by a SportsCare Physical Therapist will provide you with a proper course of treatment to alleviate your discomfort and manage your pain.
Once your comprehensive evaluation is completed, typical treatment plans include the following:
- Manual Therapy: Manual Therapy includes soft tissue mobilization for tight or stiff muscles, joint mobilizations, lower back adjustment, strain/counter strain techniques and instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization via the Graston Technique. These interventions are designed to improve soft tissue movement, vertebral joint mobility and reduce muscle spasms.
- Posture and Lifting Mechanics: This involves one-on-one therapist/patient assessment of gross and specific movement patterns with correction, education and proper training, possibly including the use of weights. This is particularly important since many back pain injuries are due to improper lifting technique.
- Therapeutic Exercise: After first establishing a solid home exercise program, a Sportscare Physical Therapist will implement a specialized exercise program performed in the clinic with the focus on improving lower extremity flexibility, lumbar core stabilization and functional strengthening
Contact your nearest SportsCare Physical Therapy Clinic to schedule an evaluation by a SportsCare Physical Therapist. They will provide you with a proper course of treatment to alleviate your discomfort and manage your pain.